Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Delhi - Better Then Expected

Arriving in Delhi, I had very low expectations. More then one traveler I met in Mumbai compared it to hell (sorry Shruti B). People told me Delhi was a city full of crime, grief, scams, and touts. Well, it seems as if those things are at least partially true, but despite that, I still like Delhi.

I have only spent a few days here, but I really liked the narrow alleys and vivid livelihood of Old Delhi. There are tons of scams and grief in the tourist areas, but if you can escape from them as quickly as possible, Delhi seems like a pretty cool place. Delhi also has a lot of cows and monkeys, which helps raise the cool factor. I will be back here in a few weeks, and I look forward to exploring more of the city.

Below are some pictures of Delhi:













Now I am off to the Himalayas. Blog posts may become less frequent, but expect them in big bursts like this one. And yes, Sam, I will be sure to take alot of photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it in Delhi!

Ya, Mumbaiites have an attitude problem with Delhi. You will hardly ever a hear a good thing from them about my city. They are ignorant. All of them :)

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you saw India Gate and Indian Parliament too in Delhi (though I did not see pics)

Blue Bike said...

Hey Dave !
I'm a friend of shruti's ... t'was nice reading your posts and being from Mumbai, I can agree its a big debate between our cities ... just like the rivalry between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo in Brazil...

and when you return back to Mumbai... do travel once to teh suburbs on a suburban local train ... its an experience in itself ... be sure to avoid the peak hour rush ... an israeli colleague of mine had time of his life when he (by mistake) boarded the ladies compartment and was loving all the female company since all the ladies were giggling looking at him... he got down at the next station realizing his mistake :D

many more such stories shall come up ... its already a long comment ... enjoy your stay

Carnage said...

Delhi is worst place ive ever been ...

Chandigarh, Nainital, Banglore, Goa .. these are coolest places in India .. apart from it .. Lucknow ..

But Delhi was horrible .sorry mate but its true ..