Sunday, May 20, 2007

Map Of Tenative Travel Plans

At my grandmother’s request, I made a map showing where I will be throughout the trip. Other then the final 6 weeks in Guwahati (#8) the plans are pretty fluid and may change, depending on who I meet or what catches my interest. The current plan is as follows:
  • Mumbai Area (#1) - I fly in to Mumbai.I plan on seeing the sights, watching Bollywood flicks, and partying with the Bombay residents I met on couchsurfing.com.(5-10 days)
  • Jaipur, Delhi, and Agra (#2,#3,#4) – I will take a train to these locations from Mumbai and will shuffle between the three cities. I plan on seeing the pink city, prominent forts, and the Taj Mahol. The amount of time I spend in these cities will depend on when I can get a flight to Leh. (3-7 days)
  • Leh, Manali, Simla, Himalayas (#5,6,7) – I will take a flight from Delhi to Leh. After taking a few days to adjust to the altitude I will do some trekking (hiking) in the Himalayas. I am looking forward to traveling the famous Leh-Manali highway and visiting Buddhist Gompas. I also hope to visit an assortment of small villages in Ladakh and Himachal Pradesh. I will then head back towards Delhi by foot, camel, horse, jeep, and bus. (14-26 days)
  • Delhi (#4) – I will return to Delhi so that I can catch a train to Guwahati for my internship. If I have some extra time in Delhi, I will check out the city’s bazaars, tombs, and museums. (1-3 Days)
  • Guwahati (#8) – I will arrive in Guwahati and head to IIT for my internship. IIT is just a quick ferry ride across the Brahmaputra from center city, so I hope to spend weekends in the city or visiting Assamese wildlife reserves. I will reside in a graduate student dorm for 6 weeks. (6 Weeks)
  • Mumbai (#1) - I will then take another cross country train trip to Mumbai. I estimate that I will spend well over 100 hours on trains during my time in India. I will then spend a final few days in Mumbai, probably buying souvenirs, before heading home. (1-3 days)

No comments: