Saturday, August 4, 2007

A Night Out On The Town

Last night my friend Romio, from Manipur, and I went to have a beer. He had offered a week ago, and I decided to take him up on his offer. When Romio picked me up from my room he informed me that their are no wine shops (as they are called in India) in walking distance of IIT. Instead, Romio would take me to a 'secret place' to get a beer.

We walked for about a kilometer, mostly in the pitch black, and we finally arrived at a shop where people can make phone calls. These are actually called STDs in India. You can find STDs everywhere in India. Anyway, we enter this small shop , and the guy takes us out back to his home. His home was essentially a hut with a bed, small stove, and table. The guy was really nice, and it was interesting for me to see how the less affluent Indians live. We ended up having a few beers and some snack before heading back to the hostel.

Romeo in the hut. I know he does not look like a 'typical' Indian. It is because he is from Manipur, in the far northeast of the country.


Party time!!

2 comments:

Selvan said...

I like your "Beard"

dproyer said...

Haha. I appreciate the quotation marks around the word beard.